Sunday, November 22, 2009

Hawthorne's Grocery Store

I'm finally starting to feel settled in here in Sea Kettle.  She's a beauty.  History seeps from her walls.  Did you know that the man who built her was the grocer here in Salem during the time that Nathaniel Hawthorne lived right down the street?  His grocery store was in our first floor!  Do you think Hawthorne shopped at our house? I certainly do.  The former owners left the history of the house on the counter, it tells an interesting story about said Philip Kimball, but that is a story for another day.

As I dust and clean and unpack, I'm discovering the ins and outs of our new home.  It is full of interesting nooks and crannies, there are hills in the floor, crooked windows and doorways, skeleton keys hanging from doorways (I wonder what interesting people used those keys...what stories would they tell?), big wood beams made of 200 year old wood.  I'm so thankful for this old house.

I'm still unpacking and my camera cord is a currently missing in action.  When it is recovered, there will certainly pictures to follow.  I can't wait to share the home I'm creating in this house.  The challenge: to compliment, respect and intensify the old beauty of this place.

Soli Deo Gloria

No comments:

Post a Comment