Saturday, January 23, 2016

2016: The Year of Rhythm

“You shall therefore lay up these words of mine in your heart and in your soul...You shall teach them to your children, talking of them when you are sitting in your house, and when you are walking by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.  Deuteronomy 11:18,19
Recently I've been thinking and reading a lot about family life, family discipleship and homeschooling. Brian and I have been discussing and processing our own upbringings/educations and deciding together what influences and values will make up the culture of our own family.

I'm inspired by the idea of a rhythmic life, small daily habits and rituals that give anchor points throughout the day and build up over a lifetime. We are feeling more and more clear about what our goals are for the life of our family and now is the time to solidify habits and rhythms so that we can begin to work toward those goals. To that end, it seems like the perfect word to direct our year would be "rhythm". 

The following are some daily rhythms we'd like to continue and commit to in the coming year:


- Morning Basket with the kids at breakfast (this includes Bible, prayer, memory work, hymns, poetry, nature, art study etc.)

- Have my personal devotions right after Morning Time (ideally I would do this before they wake up, but it is not the season of life for that)

- Read alouds scattered throughout the day. Afternoon poetry tea times, when we can.

- As much time spent outside as possible.

- Family worship after dinner; a passage of scripture read aloud by Brian, prayer and singing of a hymn or worship song (with instruments!).

- Books and a blessing for the kids(Numbers 6:24-26) before bed.

- Brian and I read aloud a chapter or two of a book before bed (currently it's Pride and Prejudice).

We hope these daily rhythms will help us be intentional about our days as we disciple our kids and encourage truth, goodness and beauty in our family culture. It's already been a huge blessing to carve out these intentional pockets of time and we've seen the fruit of these habits for ourselves and our children. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kerrie! I hope you're well! Happy belated new year! I always love reading your posts & looking at your pictures. I'm so sorry to have heard about your father & I pray you find inner peace. Do you mind if I ask how come you chose home schooling, esp given that you're both teachers & so is your family? Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kerrie! I hope you're well! Happy belated new year! I always love reading your posts & looking at your pictures. I'm so sorry to have heard about your father & I pray you find inner peace. Do you mind if I ask how come you chose home schooling, esp given that you're both teachers & so is your family? Xxx

    ReplyDelete