Thursday, January 2, 2014

2014: Anchored


We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.
Hebrews 6:19

Perhaps I was inspired by the nautical metaphors in the prayer I read and posted yesterday, but when I started thinking about my word for 2014, I kept thinking about the words of Hebrews 6:19. This verse has always been a favorite and during this season of life, it seemed right to have my word of the year be "anchored".  

I have such a tendency to get overwhelmed and anxious. You name it, I can come up with a reason to be anxious about it...money, a new baby, lesson planning, making dinner, paintings, dealing with a two-year old's antics - the list goes on.  This year I want to be anchored more securely to my hope. I'm praying that Christ and his promises would be readily in my mind, in my heart and on my lips. I want each day of 2014 to be not be characterized not by my anxiety, but by peace in my saviour.

One way that I've decided to be more "anchored" is by committing to read through the entire Bible over the next 12 months.  I have tried this undertaking a few times before, but not necessarily with a great plan of action. I usually start with Genesis and get bogged down somewhere in the middle of Leviticus. This year, I bought a small paperback "One Year Bible" which divides the entire book up into 365 days with about 15 minutes a day of reading. Each day has a selection from the Old Testament, New Testament and a Psalm and Proverb. I'm hoping that this format will be less overwhelming and give me more of a chance to be successful. We'll see!

Now, obviously it's what INSIDE the Bible that counts, but visual beauty is obviously a big motivator for me, so I decided to cover my new Bible with some pretty papers, add my word of the year to the front with my label maker and use an old ship postcard for a bookmark.


Here's to an anchored 2014!


No comments:

Post a Comment