Thursday, January 26, 2012

hallway gallery wall

Finally. This has been on my to-do list for...pretty much ever.  Armed with a Christmas gift card and a week off, Brian and I went out to gather some mismatched frames (mostly cream; a few silver) to create a gallery wall for our little hallway that goes between our kitchen and living room.  I love the way a gallery wall allows you to cluster random albeit meaningful pieces of art and ephemera in a beautiful way.  I have plans for more frames, more special art/photos/momentos, but here it is as it stands right now. It's a lot of fun to find new things to add and I've already changed out quite a few pieces. I cannot wait till Levi starts art-making! (did I mention he got finger paint in his stocking? too soon?)

Details..


1. A cut-out from an old book of Middle Eastern designs - just beautiful and also a reminder of the Yemen days.
2. A bitty picture of sleeping Levi when he was only a couple weeks old. Taken by Brian, to be used for my birthday present which was a locket with this picture in it. love.
3. Hard to see, but a lovely little line drawing of trees that Brian let me have from one of his journals. He's makes great little doodle-sketches and I was so happy to be able to frame one.
4. Meaningful Bible verses handwritten by my friends, Kristin and Lianna, attached to snacks in a care package when I was particularly overwhelmed by work and motherhood. I made a collage of them on a piece of pretty scrap paper. Good reminders of God's love and friend love.
5. A gorgeous detailed drawings of a hand decorated with henna/mehendi designs given to me by Madhiha, a Bengali third grader, who I taught in Detroit. One of the most gifted art students I've ever had.
6. Since it fit the color scheme, I added the collage I made for Brian a couple Christmas' ago. The Salem Covanant of 1629. Great reminder of why our city was founded.  
7. Sea Kettle keys! just wrote about this...check out the new yellow frame.
8. A painting of Sea Kettle done by our neighbor about 50 years ago. Very charming! There are even funny little stork babies living in our tree.
9. From an old alphabet book found in my Nana's book room. It reads "The Nightingale, the sweetest bird, who in the evening late, can o'er the land be loudly heard, caroling to his mate" (reminds me of Bri);) 
10. The back of our reply postcard from our wedding invitations. Love the red stamp we used. 
11. L's handprint. cute.
12. photobooth strip we took when we were engaged. We used this image for our "Save the Dates"

______________________________________________________________

Here are some other great examples of gallery walls:
  • @younghouselove (probably my favorite, they inspired me to think about light colored frames, since I'm generally a dark-wood kind of girl...although my style isn't quite as matchy.)
  • @iheartorganizing 
  • @apartmenttherapy (love how they "hid" the thermostat)

What would you frame?

5 comments:

  1. I love this! Please come do this in my house with my momentous! You have a great eye for balance which is something I struggle with when trying to compose wall space. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Please come do this in my house with my momentous! You have a great eye for balance which is something I struggle with when trying to compose wall space. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, thanks! Live nearby? :) Just have someone with a good eye for composition come over and help, other than that, it's an easy project and so much fun to choose those special pieces.

      Delete
  3. i love this too! i pinned something similar on pintrest that i would like to do someday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so pretty! It's never too soon for art! I'm sure Levi will be using those fingers paints sooner than you imagine ;)

    ReplyDelete