Thursday, January 5, 2012

Christmas Project Round Up: Hand, Hand, Fingers Thumb!

Here's another little gift I made for Levi.  When I take care of Levi's friend Evan, we often read the book "Hand, Hand, Fingers Thumb" (again and again and again!).  I love a book with good rhythm.  This one has great rhythm and a fun story about about drumming monkeys ("dum ditty, dum ditty dum, dum, dum!").   Levi really seems to enjoy the book too, so I bought it for him and then created a sock monkey with a drum to go along with the story.  I used the classic sock monkey pattern and then created the drum out of a little round wooden box I found at the craft store. I painted it to look like a drum from the book, mod podged it and then attached a string (hole on either side and knotted it from the inside).  Although he doesn't appreciate it entirely now, hopefully within the next year he'll enjoy making his own monkey drum while we read the book. 
(A couple of years ago I made another "prop" to go with a book when I created my mitten full of animals to go with "The Mitten". I'm planning on saving this one until Levi gets a little older, but it's a fun idea if you have an older child.) 

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, I love this sock monkey! We don't have that book. I showed my husband and I could hear it in his voice...he said he used to read that book! I think we'll be adding it to our wishlist :) And oh the Mitten! That came out SO AMAZING! I love that book! I have laminated animals in my copy...in my "pocket" as Patrick likes to call it ;)

    ReplyDelete