Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Remembering


A few weeks ago, Brian led our small group in a lesson on remembrance. Together we studied scriptures and asked ourselves and each other, "What good is remembering? What role does remembrance play in our walk of faith? What does God want us to remember? Why does He want us to remember? How do people of faith remember?"
listen..
Deuteronomy 4 9 Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them. 


Deuteronomy 5 15 Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the LORD your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm.

Psalm 42 5 Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and 6 my God. My soul is downcast within me; therefore I will remember you...

I am so oft like those rascal Israelites, forgetting that I was slave. Forgetting His mighty deeds, forgetting I was miraculously saved, forgetting what my eyes have seen.

Right there, in the midst of discussion, I was inspired to create a tangible way for our family to remember. The Israelites used rocks, altars, tents and tassels; and we'll use a wooden box.

We are already filling that box with the mighty works our God has done, the ways he comforted, the way he provided, the way he teaches and saves.

I wonder how different our lives will look as a people who remember.. 

2 comments:

  1. this is just lovely. i love this idea. we talk about the things we are thankful for at the dinner table daily. this is another great way to be reminded but also to teach my little ones about how big their god really is.
    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this! so good. thanks for the reminder to remember.

    ReplyDelete