Sunday, November 21, 2010

Evening Praise




_________________________________

Evening Praise



Giver of all, another day is ended 
and I take my place beneath my great redeemer's cross, 
where healing streams continually descend, 
where balm is poured into every wound, 
where I wash anew in the all-cleansing blood,
 assured that Thou seest in me no spots of sin. 


Yet a little while and I shall go to Thy home
 and be no more seen; 
help me to gird up the loins of my mind, 
to quicken my step, 
to speed as if each moment were my last, 
that my life be joy,
 my death glory.

I thank Thee for the temporal blessings of this world
the refreshing air, the light of the sun,
 the food that renews strength, 
the raiment that clothes, 
the dwelling that shelters,
 the sleep that gives rest, 
the starry canopy of night,
 the summer breeze, 
the flowers' sweetness, 
the music of flowing streams, 
the happy endearments of family, kindred, friends. 

Things animate, things inanimate, 
minister to my comfort. 

My cup runs over. 

Suffer me not to be insensible to these daily mercies. 
Thy hand bestows blessings: 
Thy power averts evil.
I bring my tribute of thanks for spiritual graces,
 the full warmth of faith, 
the cheering presence of Thy Spirit, 
the strength of Thy restraining will, 
Thy spiking of hell's artillery. 

Blessed be my sovereign Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment