Wednesday, September 1, 2010

One of my creative Inspirations and "Knit for Kids"

Meet my creative, beautiful, generous Grandma. 


Did I ever mention how much of a creative inspiration she's been to me?  

Some of my favorite childhood memories are craft weekends at Grandma's.  She delighted in preparing wonderful arts and crafts for her grandchildren.  We made candles, clay creations, quilts and bird houses made out of Grandpa's home-grown gourds. I credit these early craft days as some of the first times that I really started loving the arts and when I realized that I might actually be good at it.  

Grandma is also a wonderful sewer, crocheter, cross-stitcher (check this out!) and  knitter. She's been knitting for her grandchildren since our births. Growing up, birthdays and Christmas' were often enhanced by a lovingly handmade scarf, blanket or sweater from Grandma. 

As the grandchildren have nearly grown up, she's been looking for other kids to knit for. She recently found a wonderful program called "Knit for Kids". This program provides a simple crochet and knitting pattern for creating sweaters in different sizes to send to World Vision. World Vision then distributes them to needy kids in the U.S. and around the world.  Grandma has been busily knitting away on these special sweaters and has inspired me to do the same.  I think this a great way for us crafters to serve others in our community and the world.

Check out my first sweater for "Knit for Kids". 
(I started with a size 2.)



If you're interested in knitting for "Knit for Kids", go to the website above and print out the pattern.  It's nice and easy for beginners like me...

Grandma, thanks for your inspiration to slow down, to make things,
and to bring beauty and warmth to those around me. 

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I'm going to bookmark this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet tribute to your grandma!

    I came here through your comment on Ordinary Inspirations. You have a lovely blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work. Your grandma is so cute. I wish I had someone who could sit by me that I could learn from ;)

    By the way, I'm doing a giveaway on my blog that you might like ;)
    http://www.lifeologia.com/back-to-school-treats-giveaway/

    ReplyDelete