Thursday, September 2, 2010

Sea Kettle Studios - Friend Edition

All children are artists. 
The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up. 


The majority of adults I know are very self-conscious about their artistic ability.  You have no idea how many times I've heard the phrase, "I can't even draw a stick figure".  Far too many people give up on art when they get out of school, and often long before that. 

I've been so proud of a couple of my close friends who have stepped way out of their comfort zone and asked me to help them learn to paint.  

Jess is a very creative person.  She has always loved art, but has never tried to paint before.  She came to me with a great idea to paint a series of four paintings of different types of coffee drinks. She came over to Sea Kettle Studios recently and we worked through her first canvas.  Jess did a fantastic job with her first painting and I can't wait to see how the next three turn out! It was such a pleasure to see her loosen up, be courageous and gain a lot of confidence in the process.  

May she inspire you to go out and try your first "painting" or whatever else it is that you always wanted to try, but haven't had the courage to do...
   




2 comments:

  1. What a great painting! As a teacher of 5th grade, I often find my kids starting to slip out of creativity...and I pull them back in! I also like to quote Picasso ;) He says, In order to break the rules, you must know them first...This is so beautifully applicable to Language Arts! and I've got a picture of him in my classroom...and I like to say, "You don't have to be a Picasso, you just have to try your hardest!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that's right around the time that kids get really self-conscious, I'm so glad they have a teacher like you to pull them back!

    ReplyDelete