Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Preparing for Lent

It's Ash Wednesday and we are preparing to celebrate the season of Lent at the James household. I'm praying that these 40 days leading up to Easter will be a sweet time of remembrance, repentance and renewal.

Here are a few ways that I am celebrating this journey to the cross and resurrection. 
-We set out our Way of Light Wreath, light candles, remember Christ's journey to death and LIFE.
- We set out our Lenten books, read from "The Passion of Jesus Christ" by John Piper. This book lists 50 short devotionals reflecting on some of the reasons Christ came to die. Also, a friend just introduced me to the Asbury Reader. It's a Lent devotional put out by Asbury Theological Seminary. I didn't order a book in time, but I think I'll be able to read it online on this site. Check it out, it looks promising!)
- create lenten art
- Listen to my Lent/Easter mix (which includes the following...)      

How are you celebrating the Lenten and Easter season this year?

2 comments:

  1. we are doing a bit of lent. Last year we were more "into" it because I felt better and was in need of purpose. I really enjoyed it and we even went for an early spring rafting trip... we were taking life by the horns and using what God gave us to do things that bettered ourselves and helped others.

    This year I feel more like I just need to be present. Pregnancy has me feeling sick and tired and heartburn isn't letting me sleep for more than a couple house a night... and then my back seems to go out in mid-step, so I'm not feeling lively...That being said, I know that there is beauty in the moment and I don't want to miss that. So I decided to do a facebook fast (I may be a bit of an addict). I'm planning to use that time to seek the Lord and to see the joy in little things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brittany! So good to hear from you! I've been thinking of you and your family and your pregnancy. I totally get you with the "present" thing. I'm sorry that you're not feeling great, but hope that this lenten season you'll find joy and comfort. blessings!

    ReplyDelete