Thursday, March 1, 2012

shell love

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. 
-Jacques Cousteau

Our first date of February was a jaunt down to the end of our penninsula to watch the sunset(and eat SUNflower seeds and drink SUNkist soda, haha).  It was such an unseasonably warm day, so we spent some time walking along the beach and collecting shells.  


I came home with quite a few shells in hopes of doing something interesting with them.  I initially came up with this idea as a Valentine's decoration/gift but February 14th came and went with my collection of shells left untouched. Despite their definite heart shape, I'm still enjoying their sweet "New England-y" charm. Maybe I'll use them as Valentines another year. 


Construction was simple. I hot glued the 2 shells together (of different sizes, I liked the variety). Then I glued a ribbon or twine on the back for hanging.  You can leave them 'au natural' or use a paint marker to add some appropriate words. 


P.S. For those of you who aren't coastal dwellers, I imagine you could probably go out for sea food, order mussels and slide the shells in your purse. :)







No comments:

Post a Comment