Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Prodigal

Our church has just finished studying "The Prodigal God" by Timothy Keller, a book based on the parable of the prodigal son from Luke 15:11-32.  I highly recommend it (both the parable and the book!).   

My friend sang this song by Sovereign Grace Music at church as a very appropriate companion to our series.  She asked me to create some artwork to display along with her singing.  It is always my joy to use my art for the edification of the local church, so I jumped at the opportunity.  And I wish you could have heard her sing it.  It was beautiful and heartfelt.   It is her story and it is my story.  I hope it's yours, as well. 

(Unfortunately I didn't have her audio, so I used the original Sovereign Grace version for this video.)  




The Prodigal


You held out your arms, I walked away

Insolent, I spurned your face
Squandering the gifts You gave to me
Holding close forbidden things
Destitute, a rebel still, a fool in all my pride
The world I once enjoyed is death to me
No joy, no hope, no life

Where now are the friends that I had bought
Gone with every penny lost
What hope could there be for such as I
Sold out to a world of lies
Oh to see Your face again, it seems so distant now
Could it be that You would take me back
A servant in your house

You held out your arms, I see them still
You never left, You never will
Running to embrace me, now I know
Your cords of love will always hold
Mercy's robe, a ring of grace
Such favor undeserved
You sing over me and celebrate
The rebel now Your child


No comments:

Post a Comment