Saturday, January 2, 2010

A New Idea That's Been Cookin'

Over the past few days, I've been playing with a new idea that would make the perfect gift for a little one.  I have a friend who is due any moment and I think I might make my first one for her baby.

I've been going through a crazy crocheting phase.  At one point this week, I decided to try to make some mittens.  This is more complicated than the hats I've been making, so the one I made didn't come out exactly how I would have liked.  I made one and just gave up on the other one for the time being.  Since it was a little big, it reminded me of that wonderful children's book called  "The Mitten" by Jan Brett , based on a Ukrainian folktale.  For those of you who haven't read it, it's all about a bunch of animals who find a lost mitten in the snow and all decide to get in it.


I thought it would be a great idea to crochet a mitten and then make little clay animals to go inside (eventually I might make little stuffed animals with fabric or felt and a larger mitten).  Wouldn't that make the cutest homemade toy?  I'm going to buy some more clay this week and see what I can do.  I'll post pictures when I finish.  Brian and I were talking and thought that it would be so special someday to make a new toy based on a book for our kids each Christmas.  What a great tradition that would be!  We'll see how I do...

 For now, here's my funny mitten that I'm hoping to fill with little forest animals.


1 comment:

  1. Great minds... you actually made your mitten tho. This book is a tradition in our family~ my husband is Ukranian. :)

    ReplyDelete