Thursday, June 16, 2011

My sewing day project

Perhaps it was due to our ultra-advanced planning, or maybe it was the haze of my forever-cold, but my sewing day with Liz came upon me quite quickly.  I realized on Friday night (in a mild panic) that I didn't have any idea what I was going to work on. I had no plan and no pattern. So, on Saturday morning, I stuffed my bag with a bunch of scraps from the fabrics I had used in the nursery, hoping that I could think of something to make.  


One of the last things on my nursery shopping list was a runner for the dresser. I soon realized that this might be the perfect project for my haphazard bag of scraps.  I'd never made a runner, but it seemed simple enough, so I decided to give it a try. 


I used the fabric that I had used for my embroidery hoops (from Grandma's scrap bin) and the fabric I used for my bird mobile and cut about 16 5" x 18" strips. This was a total estimation, since I had no measurements of the dresser. For the backing, I used the scraps from a recycled sheet from my vintage sheet quilt project. It went surprisingly quickly and within a couple of hours it was finished. When I got home, I tried it on the dresser and it fit perfectly. It really warms up the dresser and the price was just right!


5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, Kerrie!! I wish I could just "whip" something up so quickly and make it beautiful like you! You have such a talent for the arts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks beautiful, Kerrie! I love how you're tying the room together with repetition of lots of different colors and patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So simple and beautiful! I love it Kerrie! This baby has one amazing nursery! You've done a GREAT job! (did I mention we didn't make Maura a room yet? LOL! Since we didn't know if she'd be a boy or a girl, and we knew we'd cosleep for a while, we decided to wait until we figured it out! It was 11 months before Patrick ever ended up in his room!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ..."mild panic about what i was going to make..." haha kerrie as usual, you're a genius

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE it! I so rarely see runners over dressers, but that's how all ours were growing up. :) It really warms the room I think. I don't have a dresser in our nursery, but I used a runner my grandma made before I was born hung on the side of the closet- it's something that's easily treasured for years and repurposed! :)

    ReplyDelete