Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Teacup Candles for Mother's Day


My, my, it's been too long since I've posted a tutorial! I think I run out of energy to write more "tutorials" after writing so many for my students every week. But not today! :) 

These tea cup candles were simple to put together and made charming little Mother's Day gifts for all of my mums and grand mums. I had such fun hunting for the perfect cup for each recipient and found that most thrift store have a plethora to choose from in all sorts of colors and styles. After picking out my pieces, I found some candle making materials in my old art closet at my parents' house and went to work making my candles. Full tutorial below..
To gather:

- pretty tea cups or other small containers (that piece of pottery was just perfect for my bird and pottery loving Grandma)
- candle wax (can you believe that wax I found in the closet?! It must be 50 years old.)
- wicks
- essential oils (optional)
- double boiler or metal can
- ladle
- something to hold the wick in place; a dowel or just something skinny to lay on top of the tea cup.

The process:

1. Make sure tea cups are clean. 
2. Using a double boiler or metal can, melt wax.
3. Add a few drops of essential oils if you want your candle scented.
4. Using a ladle, fill tea cups about 3/4 full.
5. Before wax cools, place wick in the center. Use a dowel to keep the wick in the center of the candle.
6. Let cool.
7. If your candle droops in the center when it cools, just reheat more wax and fill it in. 


No comments:

Post a Comment