Wednesday, December 14, 2011

His and Hers Neck Warmers

Even in the midst of Christmas preparations, I haven't been about to put down the needles entirely. Brian needed a new scarf (somehow that boy has lost every scarf he's ever owned)so I found some nice chunky yarn that looked very wool-like even though its an acrylic blend. I used relatively big needles, too, in hopes that it would work up quickly. I don't know what was wrong with me, but it felt like an eternity to make that thing. He likes to be able to wrap it all the way around his head with both sides handing in the front, so that makes it need to be really long...maybe that was it (the baby is always a good excuse, too) Anyways, I finally finished it and the extreme appreciation I get and the daily wear has made it totally worthwhile.  And I love that the yarn has brown, black and gray in it, so it will match all of his coats and sweaters. 
I can't really tell you exactly how I made it - size 8 needles, I think and then just as many stitches to make it about 6 inches wide; then I just knit, knit, knit until it was long enough (I used 1 1/2 skeins). 

I ended up having some yarn left over, so I made myself a matching cowl from this pattern that I had bookmarked a while back. I kind of love wearing matching clothes with my loved ones (see these hats and these dresses and these skirts). Somehow this neck warmer only took the drive to and from a Thanksgiving get-together.  It was about an hour away, but still - talk about a quick knit! If I do this one again, I would not do as many stitches to begin with to make it hug my neck more.  Right now it is more of a fashion statement than something to keep me terribly warm. Oh well. :)

2 comments:

  1. beautiful knitting!! Love the texture and the muted colors of both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made that cowl too last winter...while I love it and the yarn I use, I agree! Less stitches!

    ReplyDelete