Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Christmas Project Round-Up: a gift for a mountain man..

This Christmas gift was inspired by my friend Tom, who recently created a beautiful silhouette of the Grand Tetons on a piece of poplar for his living room. I was struck by the beautiful simplicity of it and even though the Tetons are a much more dramatic mountain range, I thought the idea might still work for the more weathered Presidential Range in New Hampshire.  

My Grandpa has always loved hiking and climbing mountains and if I'm not mistaken, he has climbed all of the Presidentials. I went to Home Depot and found my own piece of poplar (about 2 feet long) with a nice grain. I used some photos online, like the one below, and sketched the line of the range onto the wood with pencil.  Then I simply filled the mountains in with black acrylic paint.   Sweetly simple and meaningful gift for the mountaineers in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment