Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Camping Treat

(So, I just found this post that I wrote last August in my "drafts" folder and realized that I never got around to posting it. Even though we probably won't go camping this year with the new babe (my whole family is going next week! *tears*), maybe someone who IS, will find this scrumptious little recipe helpful!)
__________________________________________________________________



Today I thought I'd share a little "recipe" for my family's new favorite camping dessert.  We've been calling them "Banana Boats".  Brian and I were introduced to them recently a while ago, by some friends, but Mom also reminded me that we used to make these during some of our camping trips in Yemen.  Either way, they are wonderful treats that will certainly be a new tradition on all of our family camping trips!


"Banana Boats"


You will need:


-a camp fire, preferably hot coals rather than a roaring fire
-Aluminum foil
-Bananas (I like very ripe ones for this)


Any combination of the following:
-Hershey's chocolate
-marshmallows
-peanut butter
-heath bar chunks
-anything else you can think of that would taste good in a banana...


First, slice your banana in half, leaving on the peel.  Lay it in a piece of tin foil, then fill it with any of the above ingredients.  My favorites are the chocolate, peanut butter and marshmallow.  Wrap the entire banana in tin foil and leave it in the fire for about 3-5 minutes.  Carefully take your bananas out of the fire (preferably with tongs), unwrap and enjoy the gooey goodness!



Banana wrapped in tin foil cooking in the camp fire


Unwrapped "Banana Boat" ready to be enjoyed!

6 comments:

  1. I'll make you one this weekend.... *tear*.... but I'll be home Sunday night to take care of you, baby, and bri :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, must try! Come on james baby!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMM this looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @katie: Thanks!!
    @Jodi: YES and YES! :)
    @Aubyn: we should have a fire at the Henry's and make these!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. dont rule anything out just yet... i went camping with the boy (and the girls) one week after he was born.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, wow, can't wait to surprise Hubby with these on our next camping trip. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete