Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Back in an Apron

This past June, I left my job as a 5th-6th grade teacher at a special ed school for kids with Asperger's Syndrome.  I knew that once I had my baby, I wouldn't want to work full-time, especially that far away (often my commute was over an hour). While I was pregnant, I was blessed to have found a couple Mom-friendly, part-time jobs to keep me teaching and to bring in a little extra income while still being able to spend time as much time as possible with Levi. Although I really enjoyed my time with my lovably-quirky group of kids, I'm really looking forward to going back to my first love; being an art teacher. 


Starting next week, I'll be teaching art at an organization where home-schooled kids can take various classes a couple days a week to supplement their schooling. I just so happen to be an alum of the program, so I'm super excited to be back! I'll be teaching a middle school art class, a high school art class and various workshops for younger kids throughout the year. I'll also be teaching elementary art, one morning a week, at a small Christian school where my Mom teaches 2nd and 3rd grade. Between the two jobs, I'll be teaching kids from grades 1-12, which will give me a great variety of ages and abilities to work with. I'm really looking forward to it! 


So, needless to say, you'll probably be seeing more art projects shared on the blog in the very near future. I'm hoping that you find a few to inspire you and the kids in your life. 


Now, back to lesson planning, material ordering, poster making, and classroom cleaning. (you know, in-between feeding, diapering, kissing and cuddling...) 

8 comments:

  1. I didn't know the students you worked with had Asperger's Syndrome. I am so glad that you have found a place to balance work and motherhood. You are talented at both, I am sure. I am looking forward to seeing all your adventures in both paths of your life, my blog friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting, and what a blessing. Praise God, Who answers the desires of our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me and my siblings went to program like that when we were home-schooled. but after that, my younger sister and i went to a public school, and that didn't go well. I'm glad that you found a balance between work and family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This mama of five home-schooled kids is really looking forward to your art posts. Every year I say we are going to get more art accomplished and some how we don't get it done. You have a sweet family and I enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm excited for you to be back to teaching art again. It's always great to see the things you teach the kids to make and the smiles on their faces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOOPS! I meant "Thanks Ladies...and Noah!" :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://www.thatartistwoman.org/

    just in case you don't have enough projects... I LOVE a lot of her stuff. Oh, and we're redoing our whole house right now... so I hope to post a few things to my super neglected blog soon.

    ReplyDelete