Monday, November 3, 2014

H-owl-ween!

Our costumes came together pretty well considering how last minute they were. When I asked Levi what he wanted to dress up as for Halloween, he gave me ideas like "a light" or "broccoli". I was all set to just put him in his favorite "farmer" overalls and call it a day when I found a gray dress with cute little wings in a bag of hand-me-downs for Magnolia. It just screamed "baby owl". Perfect. 
I was happy to find that between my leftover yarn, my mom's felt and my nana's buttons, I had enough scraps to pull our costumes together quickly. I started by crocheting a gray hat for Maggie. You may recognize the rest of our hats from other costumes/blog posts. I took off Levi's Curious George ears from last year and added owl features and at the very last minute (Halloween afternoon!) I crocheted some extra owl eyes/beaks to sew on a couple of existing hats for Brian and I. Levi and Magnolia's belly feathers are pieces of felt cut in the shape of feathers then layered and hot glued to a felt oval that was tied around their necks.

(Maggie's hat and everyone else's owl eyes/beaks are loosely based on THIS pattern)
We continued our tradition of going to the aunts/uncles and grandparents' houses to say hi and eat a couple pieces of candy. This year, Brian brought Levi to a couple of neighbor houses to trick-or-treat, which he thought was quite novel and fun. Despite his general dislike for costumes, Levi totally got into character and loved being part of our family of owls. He and Brian "hoo"ed all night long. Magnolia was hilarious; she must have just been excited to see all of her favorite people, because she spent most of the night bouncing up and down and flapping her arms as if she was trying to fly. It was the cutest thing ever. 

I fully realize that one of these years someone is going to rebel against my family themed costumes, but I'll enjoy them while I can! :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness Levi is getting big! That little one of yours is adorable! I think it is great that you all dressed up in the same theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are the CUTEST!

    ReplyDelete