Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Baby Friendly Necklaces

A couple of weeks ago, my friend Kirsten was recounting to me how her 8 month old daughter, Tessa, loves to chew on any necklace she is wearing. Of course, this is neither good for the necklaces, or for Tessa! I told her that I remembered seeing a tutorial for some baby friendly necklaces, so we decided to give it a go. 

These necklaces are basically just a long tube of fabric with unfinished wooden beads inside, each separated by a tight knot. These were very simple to make and we even knocked them out in one morning while caring for and entertaining 4 kids under the age of 3. Super crafter-moms!

So far they have been a huge success. Tessa loves chewing and playing with her Mom's necklace and Magnolia likes holding onto mine while she sleeps or nurses. It's cute, comfortable and it can be played with, tugged and chewed on to any baby's delight.

(I used some brightly colored scraps of fabric from Rwanda that my sister gave me after her semester abroad for the necklace pictured, but I also ended up making a cream-colored necklace, so that I would have one that matched almost any outfit.)

(see a more detailed tutorial HERE)

No comments:

Post a Comment