Saturday, June 28, 2014

this and that

a little bit of this, a little bit of that...

- foot update: during the last couple of weeks I've seen a lot of progress..like, MUCH more than I or my neurologist expected (thank you for praying, pray-ers!). Nerves are healing and making connections; I finally have upward motion and more feeling overall. I have even ditched my leg brace for the most part. (!!) Not being able to drive is still the most debilitating thing at this point, but I'm optimistic that I may get some strength back for that in the next few weeks. I won't be irish step dancing anytime soon, but hey, progress is progress!

- speaking of my foot. I've never been much of a runner, but I've recently had the urge to start. Obviously I can't run yet, but there is something about having my ability to walk/run taken away that really makes me want to do it.  Not sure if I'll really find the time or motivation, but who knows?! I keep joking to Brian that I'm going to run the Boston Marathon next year. Yeah... no.

- I'm parenting a mini-teenager. Levi's stays up for HOURS reading books in his bed (I probably shouldn't complain...) and then sleeping in waaay late (again, I probably shouldn't complain). Luckily, we usually don't have anywhere to be most mornings, but we're going to have to get that kid back into gear come September.

- Most of my crafting has been on hiatus in the last few months, but the other day my friend and I spent the morning making some way-cute baby friendly accessories. Post to follow!

-the other day Brian called and I was holding Magnolia, so I put him on speaker phone.  The second she heard his voice, she lit up with the her biggest smile to date.  I love that she knows and loves the sound of her father's voice.

-we recently rearranged our living room in the most significant way since we moved in.  I was tripping over things and just feeling too cramped, especially being home for so much time with two kids. We took out a big piece of furniture and moved stuff around and it feels so much bigger.  I'm not tripping and Levi has more room to spread out and play.

-I had so much fun yesterday taking newborn photos of my friend Laura's new baby, Callia. She is just darling and we're hoping she and Magnolia will be great buddies just like their brothers are! 

- next week is Brian's birthday and I'm so excited about a big collaborative gift me and our families are putting together. If all goes according to plan, it's going to rock his socks off.

- the creative arts ministry at church is already planning for ArtSpeak 2014. Even though it's next March, we need our event image/painting by September.  I've been nominated this year, so this summer I need to paint something under the theme "Imagine". So open-ended...still waiting on inspiration.

- in a few weeks, we're heading up to Maine with the group of girls I was friends with when we all lived in Yemen. We have a private blog where we keep up with each other's lives. Even though we all live so very far apart, we try to get together ever couple of years...usually at a wedding. Alas, no weddings this time, but this year we decided to rent a house together in Maine. I'm SO excited. 3 babies have been born since our last get together, so it's going to be fun for us and our families to hang out all together and of course for us to reminisce about being 5 little blond girls running wild around the middle east. Good times.

-during the winter months this quote by John Steinbeck was written on my kitchen chalkboard: "what good is the warmth of summer without the cold of winter to give it sweetness?" oh man.. this winter was so long and so hard and I'm bound and determined to appreciate the sweetness of this summer! 





1 comment: