Wednesday, December 2, 2015

What's in our Morning Basket: December/Advent Term




(Note: I wrote an introduction and explanation of our Autumn Term morning basket HERE.)

Morning Basket: Advent Term

1. Gather the Jesse Tree ornament, treats and activity from the advent calendar.

2. Read the activity for the day and plan when we will do it (is it something we'll wait to do with Dad? Do we need to get anything for it?)

3. Light a candle ("The Lord is my light and my salvation") and read the day's selection from the Jesse Tree devotional "Unwrapping the Greatest Gift" by Ann Voskamp.

4. Prayer: Write down what we are thankful for and prayer requests, then pray for them. 

5. Memory Work: 
-Luke 2:8-12 
-Part of a poem by Christina Rossetti: "What can I give Him, poor as I am? If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb, If I were a wisemen I would do my part- Yet what can I give Him, Give Him my heart."
-This month's motto/habit training: "No fussing, no whining, no complaining, respond with gratitude!" 

6. Hymn: Joy to the World!

7. Picture Study/Art History: Rembrant's "The Adoration of the Shepherds" (see below)

8. Benediction: Sing Doxology

9. Read alouds (to be read aloud throughout December):
A Christmas Treasury Illustrated by Christian Birmingham 
The Tailor of Gloucester by Beatrix Potter
The Legend of the Poinsettia by Tomie dePaola
The Birds of Bethlehem by Tomie dePaola
The Christmas Pageant by Tomie dePaola
An Early American Christmas by Tomie dePaola
Merry Christmas Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola
The Story of the Three Wise Kings by Tomie dePaola
Little Tree by e.e. cummings
Erik and the Christmas Horse by Hans Peterson
The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree by Gloria Houston
The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey
The Christmas Story by Carol Heyer

 Studio of Rembrandt ‘The Adoration of the Shepherds’ 1646

No comments:

Post a Comment