Saturday, December 19, 2009

TV and An Artistic Twist to an Old Favorite

So we just broke down and got basic cable.  For our first two years of marriage, we didn't own a TV.  Then my brother gave us a beautiful flat screen high definition television for my birthday.  How could we say no? It was a gift. I must say that it was a blessing to have those first precious years of marriage without "the great time waster" *.

When we got the TV, my Dad gave us some antennas and we usually got 3 channels, depending on the weather.   When we moved into Sea Kettle, the antennae didn't pick up any channels.  We thought it would be nice to be able to get the news (if only to watch the snow cancellations!) and to be able to watch "The Office" on Thursdays, so we broke down and got the $10 a month cable package.

 All of this to say...I had NO idea that HGTV (Home and Garden Television) was included in this bare-bones package.  Alas, I must admit that I've watched a little more television since this revelation.  So last weekend, as I was finishing a couple of Christmas present projects,  I saw some celebrity holiday home special.  Jewel, the singer,  was featured, decorating her 2nd house and creating this fun cherry pie. It's basically just a regular cherry pie recipe, except she cut out pictures for the top crust.  I thought it was a great idea and made one of my own for our annual extended family yankee swap today.  I love fun twists to old favorites.

 The moral of this story: Television is usually a waste of precious time, but every once in a while.... well, you know.

*John Piper, "Don't Waste Your Life"



No comments:

Post a Comment